Trying to serve fish more often? Here’s a recipe that kids love!
For the Nuggets
4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets, 6 to 8 oz (180 to 250 g) each,
cut into nuggets
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/4 cup (50 mL) grated parmesan cheese or finely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (125 mL) plain, dry breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
Dash of white or black pepper
1/3 cup (75 mL ) fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
For the Homemade Tartar Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) light mayonnaise
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon-style mustard
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp (15 mL) sweet pickle or capers, chopped and drained (optional)
1 tbsp (15 mL) green olives, chopped and drained (optional)
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make Nuggets
1. Position oven rack on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 400º F (205º C)
2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray several times to thoroughly coat.
3. In a shallow dish, combine cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper. In another dish, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil.
4. Dip nuggets in lemon juice mixture. Then roll nuggets in cheese mixture. Dust with paprika and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place catfish on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º F (175º C), and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until coating is golden and fish flakes easily. Serve with Homemade Tartar Sauce.
To Make Tartar Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve with Crispy Baked Catfish Nuggets. Yield: about 1 cup (250 mL).
Note: Catfish nuggets may be prepared and frozen. Simply follow the above directions, and once the fish is removed from the oven, cool to room temperature. Place in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to one month. To serve, remove fish from the freezer and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Preheat oven and bake at 400º F (205º C) for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350º F (175º C) and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until crust is golden.